Friday, April 11, 2008

Wha' happened?

I began this post wondering, what happened to one of my favorite bands of all time: Prodigy? After contemplating the essence of rock and roll, and how said rock and roll sometimes seems to devour bands alive until they are nonexistent, I thought of a few other bands I'd tip my hat to. Here they are:

Prodigy: Man, these crazy Brits were awesome, edgy and innovative! Their techno-rock sounds left anyone in their path wanting more. One of their songs, featured below, was my theme song for a little while. The song basically sums up my entire childhood.



This song, Firestarter, spoke to me on a deep level and was the catalyst in many of my teenage pyrotechnics.


The Cranberries: This is one of the first bands I fell in love with. An Ode to My Family was usually playing as I battled my way though wastelands, deserts and ice realms in Warcraft II (which also changed my life for the better)!

They are also the first band I ever stuck up for. I remember someone telling me that the song Zombie was so stupid because, "Why did it say Zombie?" I quickly defended them, saying, "They're not saying Zombie. They're saying something else." But, as we all know, they really were saying Zombie, and I now know that. Nonetheless, I put my 12-year-old self out on the line, which says something.


The rest of No Doubt: Now, I'm not talking about the first love of my life, Gwen Stefani, I'm talking about the other dudes. They kind of got ripped off. Now Gwen is making gillions on her solo-fashion-designer-glam-rock and where are these guys? Probably doing cocaine lines off a public toilet.

I bet Tony, ex-No-Doubt-Stefani lover, feels depressed about the whole deal because now Gavin is living the posh life.



Anyway, I guess they're probably all living off their millions because I'm sure they properly invested their earnings.

8 comments:

sorensenpower said...

Please don't leave me comments telling me what really happened to these bands... I will just look on wikipedia

david santos said...

I loved this post and this blog.
Have a nice weekend.

Becca Jo said...

holy crap this is the guy who left a creepy message on my friends blog!

CitizenPain said...

I remember Firestarter! It seemed like that song was playing in the background whenever we hung out. But we didn't have a radio...
Oh, and I also had a little boy crush on Gwen Stefani back in the day.

sorensenpower said...

What man didn't Alex? WHAT MAN DIDN'T?

B-Mental said...

YES!! Music blogs are my favorite! Well done!

Jenbug said...

This post is my hero! I loved The Cranberries too! I mean, they were my favorite band for like 3 years. I also really loved Firestarter & No Doubt. We are musical soulmates. "No Doubt" about it! ;) P.S. Emi + Robbie = inappropriate. That was an interesting evening, eh? We need to go out again. Eric and I want you two to come over and help us light a fire in our new fire pit!

Senior Del Fuego said...

Sometimes I lean back in my chair and think why isn't Danny here right now? Or why isn't my face on the News now that Danny is always talking to the news people. Can't it be like the spirit pillow?